Please follow the steps below to solve the problem:
Step1: Ensure the ControlCenter is running
It will be displayed in the task tray near the system clock. If this program is not active, open it by the steps below.
(Windows® 2000 / Windows® XP / Windows Vista® / Windows® 7)
Click Start or (Start button) => (All) Programs => Brother => XXX-XXXX (your model name) => ControlCenter.
(Windows® 8 or later) if applicable*
*: Click here to see the operating systems compatibility information.
- On the Start screen, right-click somewhere on an empty spot, and then click, All Apps from the bar.
- Click Brother Utilities.
- Click ControlCenter.
Try to scan again. If you are still not able to scan from the buttons on the machine, continue to the next step.
Step2: Verify that the scanner driver is installed and the port is configured correctly
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and operating system and may differ from your Brother machine and operating system.
- Open Scanner Properties. (Click here to see how to open Scanner Properties.)
- The Network Scanner Properties dialog box appears. Click the Network Setting tab and choose Specify your machine by address or Specify your machine by name.
- If you choose Specify your machine by address, enter the IP Address of the machine in IP Address box, and then click Apply => OK.
- If you choose Specify your machine by name,
- Enter the machine node name in the Node Name box, or click Browse and choose the Brother machine you want to use and click OK.
- Click Apply => OK.
Step3: Check for a firewall setting on your computer
If a Firewall on your computer is active, it may be rejecting the necessary network connection needed for the network scanning software to operate properly. Disable the Firewall on your computer and try the network scanning again.
If the feature works properly after disabling the Firewall, this means the Firewall on your computer is rejecting the necessary network connection. In this case, Brother recommends you either disable the Firewall on your computer whenever you need to network scan using the scan key or leave the Firewall enabled and adjust the Firewall settings. Click here to see the details of how to disable the Firewall or leave the Firewall enabled.
If the problem still continues after changing the Firewall settings, please refer to "FAQs & Troubleshooting" for other information.