The message in the last line of the LCD indicates which color you need to replace.The machine will stop printing until you replace the toner cartridge. A new or unused genuine Brother toner cartridge will reset the Replace Toner mode.
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, please click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the Toner Cartridge and not the drum unit. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
Please follow the steps below to replace the toner cartridge:
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- Make sure that the machine is turned on.
- Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
- Hold the green handle of the drum unit. Pull the drum unit out until it stops.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and slightly push it toward the machine to unlock it. Then pull it out of the drum unit. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- DO NOT use cleaning materials that contain ammonia, alcohol, any type of spray or any type of flammable substance to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
- Be careful not to inhale toner.
- We recommend that you place the drum unit and/or the toner cartridge on a clean, flat, level, stable surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustration.
- Be sure to seal up the toner cartridge tightly in a suitable bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the cartridge.
- Go to http://www.brother.com/original/index.html for instructions on how to return your used consumable items to the Brother collection program. If you choose not to return your used consumable, please discard the used consumable according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
- Push to release the latches of the corona wire cover (1), and then open the cover.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Close the corona wire cover.
- Repeat steps STEP 5 to 7 to clean each of three remaining corona wires.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Gently shake it from side to side several times to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Wait to unpack the new toner cartridge until immediately before you put it in the machine. If a toner cartridge is left unpacked for a long time, the toner life will be shortened.
- If an unpacked drum unit is put in direct sunlight or room light, the unit may be damaged.
- Brother strongly recommends that you DONOT refill the toner cartridge provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement toner cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible toner and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third-party toner and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of Genuine Brother Supplies.
- Pull off the protective cover.
Put the toner cartridge in the drum unit immediately after you have removed the protective cover. To prevent any degradation to the print quality, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit, then slightly pull it toward you until you hear it click into place. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the drum unit. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
C-Cyan M-Magenta Y-Yellow K-Black
- Push the drum unit in until it stops.
- Close the front cover of the machine.
After replacing the toner cartridge, DO NOT turn off the machine's power switch or open the front cover until the LCD shows Ready.