To verify if your Brother machine has a dial tone, follow the steps below:
- Plug the telephone line cord into the socket labeled LINE on your Brother machine and then plug the other end directly into the telephone wall socket.
- Check your Brother machine has a dial tone.
- If your Brother machine has a handset, pick it up and listen for a dial tone.
- If it does not have a handset, check if your Brother machine has one of the following keys on the control panel:
b-1. If it does, press it, and listen for a dial tone. (Verify the volume is turned up.)
b-2. If your Brother machine does not have any of the above keys but it does have a Tel/R key, you can check for a dial tone by connecting an external phone to the socket labeled EXT.
Or, follow the steps below:
To check which steps are applicable for your Brother machine, please check your machine's shape.
(The Illustrations shown below are for demonstration purposes only, your Brother machine may differ from what is shown.)
Brother machine with a FB (FlatBed)
|Brother machine without a FB|
For users of Brother machine with a FB:
- Check that the speaker volume is set to LOW, NORMAL or HIGH (not OFF).
- Press any key on the numerical dial pad.
- Press Start, the machine scans from the FB.
- When the message Next Page Yes/No is displayed, press NO.
- The machine starts to dial. Listen for a dial tone.
Press any key on the dial pad and press Start without having a sheet in the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder).
For users of Brother machine without a FB:
If you do not hear a dial tone, click here to refer to the FAQ "Why doesn't my Brother machine have a dial tone?".