When the back output tray is pulled down, the printer has a straight paper path from the manual feed slot through to the back of the printer. Use this paper feed and output method when you want to print on thick paper, labels or envelopes.
Use the following steps for printing on thicker paper, labels and envelopes.
- Open the back cover (back output tray).
- Open the manual feed slot cover.
If you print on the thicker paper or label, go to the step 4.
If you print on the envelope, go to the step 3.
- For printing envelope only:
Pull down the two grey levers, one on the left-hand side and one on the right-hand side, toward you as shown in the illustration below.
- Using the both hands, slide the manual feed slot paper guides to the width of the paper, label or envelope that you are going to use.
- Using the both hands, put one piece of paper/ label or one envelope in the manual feed slot with the side to be printed faced up until the front cover edge of it touches the paper feed roller. When you feel the printer automatically pull it on, let go.
- Make sure that the paper, label or envelope is straight and in the correct position on the manual feed slot. If it is not, the paper, label or envelope may not be fed properly, resulting in a skewed printout or a paper jam.
- Pull the paper, label or envelope out completely when you retry putting it into the manual feed slot.
- Do not put more than one piece of paper/ label or one envelope in the manual feed slot at any one time, as it may cause a paper jam.
- Put the paper or other print media in the manual feed slot after the printer is in the Ready state. If not, an error may occur and the printer will stop printing.
- Choose the appropriate paper size, media type and paper source from the printer driver.
To use the BR-Script printer driver, you need to install the driver using the Custom Install from the CD-ROM provided with your Brother Printer. Choose the Custom Setup and follow the on-screen instruction.
The latest BR-Script printer driver is available in the Downloads section of your model on Brother Solutions Center. You can also install it by following the instructions on that page after downloading.
[For Macintosh® users]
When you use Envelope #10, choose "#10 Envelope" for Paper size.
For other envelopes which are not listed in the printer driver, such as "Envelope #9" or "Envelope C6", choose "Manage Custom Size".
Please refer to the instructions, "How can I change the default paper size and the media type in Macintosh® applications? How do I setup a custom page size?".
To use the BR-Script printer driver, please refer to the instructions in the User's guide provided with your Brother Printer or in the Downloads section of your model on Brother Solutions Center and install it. The latest BR-Script printer driver is available in the Downloads section of Brother Solutions Center.
- Send the print data to the printer.
- After printing data, remove each sheet of paper, label or each envelope at once.
Stacking the sheets of paper, label or each envelopes may cause the paper jam or curl. If the paper jam occurs, remove it and try from the step 5 again. Please refer to the instructions, "How do I clear paper jams? ".
- After the LCD shows "Manual Feed", put in the next sheet of paper, label or the next envelope with the side to be printed faced up. Repeat for each sheet of paper, label or each envelope that you want to print.
When you have printed on all sheet of paper or label that you wanted to print, go to the step 11.
When you have printed on all envelopes that you wanted to print, go to the step 10.
- For printing envelopes only:
Reset the two levers which are pulled down at the step 3 back to the original position.
- Close the back cover of the printer.