Difficulty scanning from your Macintosh can occur for various reasons. The most common reason a networked Brother machine may stop scanning, is because the connection between the computer and the Brother machine is lost. This can occur as a result of wrong settings or configuration of the scanner driver. There are several basic troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this issue.
For troubleshooting purposes, disable any firewall programs that are running. Once you are able to scan, enable your firewall again.
PART I: VERIFY THE CONNECTION TO THE ROUTER OR ACCESS POINT:
Verify that there is a secure connection between the Brother Machine and the router or access point. If necessary, reseat the cable on both the router and the Brother machine.
Refer to a manual of the router or access point to check that there is connectivity between the Brother machine and the router or access point. If there is no connectivity, try another cable or a different port on the router.
PART II: VERIFY THE BROTHER MACHINE IS POWERED ON AND THERE ARE NO ERRORS:
- If the machine's display (hereinafter called LCD) is blank, then the Brother machine is not powered on. Verify that it is plugged into a working outlet and any power switches are turned to the ON position.
- Check the LCD screen for any error messages. An example would be -Paper Jam- or -Ink/Toner Empty-. If the LCD screen shows an error, troubleshoot to clear the issue indicated.
PART III: CHOOSE MACHINE IN DEVICE SELECTOR
If you want to scan from the machine on a network, you must choose the networked machine in the Device Selector.
- Open Macintosh HD -> Library -> Printers -> Brother -> Utilities -> DeviceSelector.
(If you don't find the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop, click here.)
- Double click Device Selector.
- Select Network as the connection type.
- Choose a machine from the list of available machine. Click Browse to show the list.
- To use #Scan To button features on the machine, click the check box for Register your computer with the #Scan To# functions at the machine. Then enter the name you want to be displayed on the machines LCD for you Macintosh. You can use up to 15 characters.
- For network scanning, a maximum of 25 clients can be connected to one machine on a network. For example, if 30 clients try to connect at a time, 5 clients will not be shown on the LCD.
- After making your changes click OK.
- Click OK to close the Device Selector.